Just recently I’ve listened to a podcast by Michael Hyatt about 3 Strategies for taking your life to the next level. It’s a great listen! I learned a lot.
Basically, he outlined three ways to improve in something, ordered from the cheapest to most expensive.
1. Read – There’s google, Wikipedia, blogs, ebooks, books.
2. Enroll in a class – There are some things that cannot be learned just by reading. It has to be experienced. A formal class is meant to bring you through specific problems / learning experiences.
3. Get Hire a personal coach – Personal coaching is one of the most powerful ways to improve.
Here are my notes/thoughts from the podcast:
- We all want to grow. No body just wants to stay the same.
- Listening to this really made me ask if I am really serious in the things I want. We all want things… but to get to the point where we’re serious enough to really do something about it requires a leap of faith, or at least a conscious decision.
- A given to getting better at anything is devoting time.
- Focus is important. It is very difficult to be trying to grow in too many things at once. It is better to take on one project at a time. Once that is established, you can try something new. We live in seasons. Nothing is permanent.
- If you are already overcommitted, it might be time to re-evaluate all your commitments before taking on some new thing. Learning to say no is one of the hardest things to do.
- Don’t try to reinvent the wheel. You can save a lot of time by leveraging on the experiences and mistakes of others. We are never meant to stand on our own. Instead, envision yourself standing on the shoulders of other great men and women, doing greater things than they did.